Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Interview: Nikolai Krimp, author of The Last Mage

Today we have Nikolai Krimp!

Quick Author Bio: “Nikolai Krimp, born September 7, 1948 in Germany. Was raised and educated in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he lives presently. His hobbies include reading, music, and cooking.”

What inspires your stories?

I really can’t say, other than that I enjoy reading about Elves and Dwarfs, so I have created a world with a heroin and hope people enjoy my stories as much as I have fun creating them.

What genre do you gravitate toward and why?

My favorite genre is fantasy. I like to temporally leave this world and lose myself in a world that I know doesn’t really exist. Even though it does exist in my mind. I have a group of friends and we get together every two weeks to play a role-playing game. I find it helps me to form new characters whenever the story allows it.

What are your work habits like?

Chaotic. I write when I can and also when I feel like it. Sometimes the words just keep coming and other times it’s like I need to call someone for help. But the thing is that there’s never anyone around to help.

What do you consider your best work?

There isn’t anything that I can think as my best work. Every time I check back, I see something different and I change the idea. It’s very frustrating sometimes especially when I have to change more than just a paragraph. When that happens I delete the new idea and try to incorporate it at another time.

Do you plot out your novels in advance or do you write on the fly?

Yes and no. I usually have a rough outline of what the story should be and then I just start writing. Usually once I get started the story changes as I go along, because of better ideas on how the plot should continue. Most of the time I stick to the story line until the end. Here is where I have fun. I never really know how the book will end. I start off with an idea and by the time I reach the end; I have changed it.

What experience do you want for your readers?

Simple. Just enjoy the read. If readers like the story then I am satisfied.

Are any of your character traits or settings based on real life?

No, but I try to keep the story and the characters as believable as possible. There’s nothing worse when you have a character fighting hundreds of the enemy and killing them all without receiving a scratch. I try to keep it simple and more down to earth. Saying that I have to laugh. How can I write a fantasy story and keep it down to earth? It’s amazing how the mind works. Ha Ha!

What are your most significant challenges when you write?

Staying focused. I get distracted quite a lot when I right. I find my mind always wandering around the next bend and I try to see what is there. Are my characters safe or are they in danger, so checking back to when the last melee occurred helps to keep the story believable. My son gave me a singing stuffed teddy bear with a t-shirt that reads, “Some times my mind wander and some times it leaves me completely.” I got a kick out of that one. There’s truth in that.

What are you currently working on?

Right now I am working on book number three, called “The Shadow Lord”. The first book. “The Dragon’s Mouth” is on sale in e format at Mobipocket. The second one, “The Home Stone”’ is being sent to publishers at this time. I am hoping it will be picked up for publication. And book, number three is still in the works.

Do you have any writing advice you would like to share with aspiring authors?
Keep plugging away. Eventually one will be noticed. After all, look at J K Rowling. She was rejected too until someone saw something in her stories and published them. Do not go after the money for it’s a long way from small to big bucks. The main objective is to get people out there to buy your books and enjoy the stories.
















No comments:

Post a Comment