Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Interview: Jass Richards, author of The Road Trip Dialogues

Today we welcome Jass Richards.

What inspires your stories?

The world as it is and my life as I’d like it to be.

What genre do you gravitate toward and why?

Humor – but with lots of serious stuff to think about. Sort of like Monty Python and all the best stand-ups.

What are your work habits like?

Meatloaf (“Paradise by the Dashboard Light” for The Road Trip Dialogues; “Los Angeloser” for the sequel, The Blasphemy Tour), tea (lots of tea), laptop, couch.

What do you consider your best work?

Hm. I really like the first couple chapters in This Will Not Look Good on My Resume (the one about working at the mental health home and the one about working at the detention center) and the last chapter (the one about being a dog walker), and I really like several scenes from The Road Trip Dialogues (mostly the ones where Rev and Dylan get stoned). And I laughed out loud at the fish ‘n’ chips scene in the novel I’m currently working on.

Do you plot out your novels in advance or do you write on the fly?

Oh geez I am so bad at plot. Why does something have to happen? They talk! That’s what happens. Isn’t that enough? It’s really interesting, and really funny…I loved “My Dinner with Andre”…

What experience do you want for your readers?

Lots of laughing, lots of thinking.
Are any of your character traits or settings based on real life? Yes. (‘nuff said)
What are your most significant challenges when you write? Thinking of stuff for my characters to do. Besides talk. And think. And get stoned. (Not necessarily in that order.)

What are you currently working on?

The sequel to The Road Trip Dialogues – The Blasphemy Tour. I don’t want to give it away, but people who read the former will know what the latter is about.

Do you have any writing advice you would like to share with aspiring authors?

No. (no advice; it’s not that I have advice but don’t want to share it)




The Road Trip Dialogues is available at

Amazon


Barnes and Noble


Smashwords




No comments:

Post a Comment